Sunday, September 4, 2011

Underworld

Okay so yes my second blog is another vampire flick but it's not just vampires...it's also werewolves. What can I say I enjoy movies that deal with horror and supernatural themes like witches, vampires and werewolves but Underworld is completely different that I can see a presentation for it going something like:

I have an idea for a movie
Okay what is it?
It's vampires vs. werewolves meets Romeo and Juliet...with blood and guns!!
Awesome!!

 Film plot: Werewolves are called Lycans and they have been slaves to vampires for centuries but now they are rising above their former masters and are searching for descendant of the Corvinus family that can be turned into both vampire and werewolf to create a hybrid to wipe the vampires out.

I am a Death Dealer, sworn to destroy those known as the Lycans. Our war has waged for centuries, unseen by human eyes. But all that is about to change. 

To keep this from happening, the vampires have their Death Dealers to hunt down the Lycans and they are lead by the icy, beautiful Selene. She has a grudge with the Lycans as they killed her human family and the vampire leader, Viktor, turned her to help end the Lycans and finally get justice for the murder of her family. Her vendetta is tested when she meets the descendant the Lycans have been looking for: Michael Corvin.

Whether you like it or not, you're in the middle of a war that has been raging for the better part of a thousand years. A blood feud between vampires and Lycans. Werewolves

Being bit by the Lycan leader, Lucian, Michael is slowly beginning to change into the one thing Selene has been bred to hate and when she begins to fall in love with him the war between vampires and werewolves is put to the ultimate test when she must be faced with killing him or allowing him to become not just a Lycan but a hybrid of vampire and werewolf that could mean danger to the both of them.


Besides the whole werewolf-vampire plot, I love the Gothic and dark imagery of the film with its stunning visuals and it brings out the pale beauty of the vampires and the rough and tumble look of the Lycans. The second thing I love: Kate Beckinsale. I always thought she was a good actress in her cutesy, romantic roles in Serendipity and Pearl Harbor but in Underworld and even Underworld: Evolution (which I don't enjoy as much as Underworld) Kate Beckinsale proves she has more than just her looks to fall back on. Her role is equally pleasing to both men and women: leather catsuit clad eye candy with a gun and an empowered woman who won't be tied down to a man but will be loyal if given respect...and will kick your ass if you try to pull the wool over her eyes!!

As stated, I have also seen Underworld: Evolution but I did not enjoy it as much except for the fact that Kate Beckinsale is in it as Selene and I have yet to see Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans for I'm afraid I wouldn't like it because Kate Beckinsale isn't in it (which is what always throws me off sequel and prequel films in general if there are unfamiliar characters).

Although... 2012 is just around the corner and a fourth film (right now titled Underworld:Awakening) is coming out with the return of Selene supposedly looking for her and Michael's daughter after being imprisoned by scientists in a world where humans now known about both vampires and werewolves. If that bit of Internet information is correct then I'll be going to the theater to watch Kate Beckinsale kick some ass again and adding another Underworld flick to my collection!!

Differences will be set aside. Allegiances will be made. And soon, I will become the hunted.
Next blog: V For Vendetta


No comments:

Post a Comment